Henry Flemming enlists in the Union army during the Civil
War in “The Red Badge of Courage”. His mother is unhappy about him going but
helps him get ready. He marches off to war exited, but slowly begins to worry
about himself. He wonders about how he will survive physically and mentally.
The army marches around aimlessly it seems, giving Henry more time to think. He
thinks about himself differently than I do myself, and differently than any of
the other soldiers think of themselves.
What Henry is most concerned about in himself is whether or
not he will run away from battle. He tells himself over and over again that he
will just have to wait and see. He says that it annoys him that he does not
know this about himself. I find that really unique: what angers Henry most is
that he does not completely know himself. I know that I do not know myself at
all. I can hardly ever predict what I will do in a situation or how I will act
towards a specific person. It seems like Henry spends a lot of time getting to
know himself because of how much confusion it brings him that he does not know
if he would run from danger. Even though I am completely different, I
understand why it is important whether or not a person runs from battle. It
tests character in the most dangerous way. Henry’s thoughts remind me of the
game “would you rather…” because I usually say what I would want myself to do rather than what I
would actually do. I will never know if I would rather get eaten by a shark or
jump off of the empire state building if I actually had to make the choice.
This is how Henry Flemming is feeling. He knows what he hopes he will do, but
he is unsure about what his reaction will be when he is actually in battle.
What somewhat satisfies Henry about his character dilemma is
when he overhears another, very experienced soldier saying that if other people
are fleeing the battle scene, he will as well, but if no one is, he will stay
and fight. It reassures Henry to know that even the experienced soldiers might run
away. But not only that, he is also happy to know that other soldiers are not
sure what they will actually do when the time comes to fight. I am sure that
most of the soldiers had this problem in their heads, but Henry turned it into
a debate. It upset him more than others, and he was happy to know that other
people felt the same way.
Henry Flemming is a unique character because of the way that
he thinks of himself. He is frustrated when he does not know the way he will
react to battle. I like this about him because it makes him stand out from the
other soldiers. His character improves because of his dilemma.
OH TIV, MARVELOUS POST!
ReplyDeleteI love how you talk about Henry's inner turmoil (oohh how fancy that worsd sounds.) I know that I definetely do dnot understand myself and am not even going to try, so Henry's character really appeals to me in that. Is he allergic to gluten? If so, perhaps something can be arranged. I really think thgat I could use taking some time tyo get to know myself, and so could many other people. I think that your own person is always the hardest to understand.
No, Olivia, he is not allergic to gluten (eye roll). You are very right. I can easily understand you, but me, not so much. Thank you.
ReplyDelete