I am still reading “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” by
Rebecca Skloot. It is a true story about Henrietta Lacks whose cells were taken
from her when she developed cancer. These cells, unlike any others, could grow
nonstop and therefore are used in numerous experiments, one of which cured
polio. The book follows Henrietta’s family and Rebecca Skloot as she tries to
gather information from the family. Throughout the story, there are many
perspectives. The most common ones are Rebecca Skloot, Henrietta’s family, and
the doctors and scientists. But one of the most important perspectives is
missing: the people.
They story explains the press and how many articles were
published about the HeLa cells(Henrietta’s cells), and that these are all over
the world, but the book never explains what the ordinary day people thought
about what was happening. Were the people upset, or did they just not care? The
story excludes these people because since the Lacks family didn’t know it was
Henrietta, the people most likely would have thought nothing of it, except for
the fact that her cells were curing many diseases. In this large area, I also
think that the people who were tested with the cells have no perspective in the
book. They got cancer in their body without knowing as a test. This is what
happened to Henrietta and I’m sure they were not happy, but how should I know
if the book leaves them out?
I also noticed that in the book there is a lot of racism,
and this somewhat corresponds to perspective. Within just the Lacks family,
there are light skinned people and African Americans, and these people rarely
mix. The perspective of the African Americans is actually shown much more in
the story because they are Henrietta’s direct family. I think that even though
this is exactly opposite of what someone might expect given the time period, it
show the segregation that there is, but without giving any color an advantage.
It still shows the separation but it is kindly written to not exclude African Americans.
The family cared a lot about the whole cell thing, but how did whites feel?
Were they upset or did they just not care because of skin color?
In “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks”, I realized that
racism does not have to be shown by excluding the victims, African Americans.
It can be shown in many ways, and the less obvious it is, the more realistic it
is; because the obvious is not what happens every single time. The perspective
that is missing explains a lot about what the author is trying to tell the
reader.
No comments:
Post a Comment